8 – 10 March 2016. Tlemcen. Algeria. The Africa-EU Renewable Energy Cooperation Programme held an international research symposium.
(RECP) in cooperation with the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (PAUWES), University Abou Bekr Belkaid jointly
Participants included a mix of African and European experts from universities and private research institutions, complemented by representatives from: public sector, centres of excellence, international companies, business associations, NGOs and development partners involved in renewable energy research. Together, the contributors presented high-quality research on pertinent and relatable renewable energy developments on both continents. Participants outlined vital aspects for the continued success of renewable energy in Africa. For example,
- The identification of the importance of academia in advancing renewable energy market, policies, and strategies. This included the need for more joint research projects for African and EU institutions, and increased awareness and knowledge of cooperation platforms and support instruments.
- The recognition of the necessity for a people-centred approach in every research project on renewable energy in Africa. This incorporates the need to focus on cost-effective, household level off-grid solutions and the acknowledgment of the role of women role in: energy use, entrepreneurship, policy making and research.
- The acknowledgement of the need for greater awareness regarding financing opportunities for renewable energy research and application.
- Ms Eva Kagiri, Senior Planning Officer, FinCEAL Africa »
- Mr Anthony Ighodaro, Steering Committee Chair, African Renewable Energy Alliance (AREA) » Eng.
- Matthew Matimbwi, Executive Secretary, Tanzania Renewable Energy Association (TAREA)
- Overview on Africa-EU renewable energy research cooperation: Mr Jean-Paul Delattre, Managing Director, Resources and Logistics (RaL)
- Experience with Horizon 2020: Prof. Ancha Venkata Ramayya, Jimma University, Ethiopia
- CAAST-Net Plus: Dr Eric Mwangi, Africa region coordinator, CAAST-Net Plus
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): Mr Sherif Abdelrazek, Senior Advisor, DAAD