On 1 July 2014, Italy took over the six-month rotating EU Presidency.
In consideration of key events in the International agenda (such as the Post 2015 Dialogue, the 2nd International Conference on Nutrition -ICN2- and Milan Expo 2015, whose central theme is “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life”) and of agriculture and rural development being indeed crucial in fighting poverty, food and nutrition security (F and NS) is an area of particular interest.
See brochure – SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS SUPPORTING FOOD
- 13 -17 October 2014. Rome, Italy. Committee on World Food Security (CFS) 41st Session, “The impact of food safety on nutrition security”, co-organised with the Global donor Platform (GDP).
- 17 October 2014. Bari, Italy. Round Table on “Food security in ACP countries”
- 18 October 2014. Bari, Italy. Conference “From the seed to the food: cooperation, sustainable agriculture and food security” organized by CIHEAM, Bari, and the Italian Cooperative Alliance, October 18
28 – 30 September 2014. Milan, Italy. Informal Meeting of the Agriculture and Fisheries Ministers. This meeting tackled the following questions:
- What have been the main challenges for food security at the global and the EU level? Will these remain in the period beyond 2020 or will new ones emerge?
- Which of the existing policy instruments have been successfully addressing the challenges? Why? In particular, is the CAP appropriate to tackle the food security issue?
- What should be done at the EU level and what at the global (multilateral) level in terms of future policy instruments to address the challenges? And what is the sequencing of the measures that need to be introduced beyond 2020?