1st – 3rd April 2014. Botswana. The Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and Development for Southern Africa (CCARDESA) and the African Union – Inter African Bureau for Animal Resources (AU-IBAR) organized from a workshop, focusing on strengthening institutional capacity for the management of animal genetic resources in Southern Africa.
FIRST CCARDESA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
6- 7 May, 2014, Boipuso Hall, Gaborone, Botswana
28 March 2014. CCARDESA and the International Centre for development oriented Research in Agriculture (ICRA) met to discuss possible areas of cooperation. Discussions covered possible areas of collaboration on conducting relevant studies related to AR4D and on initiating change of mind set through employment of the AR4D approaches.
- Internally, CCARDESA will soon start to operate a competitive research grant system for awarding research funds to different organisations in the region. For this purpose CCARDESA will establish a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) whose duty will be to review proposals submitted and advise CARDESA on the technical quality of these proposals. The composition of the TAC will change depending on the nature of proposals being reviewed. Thus technical composition of the TAC will be determined by the skills mix required at a particular time.
- Secondly, CCARDESA wishes to use the database of experts as a pool from which different consultants could be sourced and contacted directly for consultancy assignments.
From time to time, CCARDESA receives requests from regional and global organisations, asking for advice and recommendations for various regional experts to provide a range of services. CCARDESA therefore intends to use the database for purposes of marketing the regional experts and connecting them to organisations that maybe interested in engaging them for various tasks.
In order to serve the internal and external needs of CCARDESA as briefly outlined above, the CCARDESA Secretariat is requesting for submission of CVs from the regional experts, using a format provided below. Please strictly adhere to the following specifications:
Deadline 25 April 2014
Call for Research project proposals: Reference: CCARD-CFP-CN-14-01
Technical Areas of the Call
CCARDESA is seeking expression of interest from public and private research organizations to carry out research/development work on a topic of relevance to the SADC region under the following Technical Areas:
- Technical Area 1: Up-scaling and out-scaling of proven agricultural technologies to users.
- Technical Area 2: Technology generation for improving productivity of agricultural systems.
- Technical Area 3: Improving the nutritional quality of agricultural products
- Technical Area 4 Value addition to primary agricultural products and promoting the economic participation of women and youths in agriculture
These research and development grants shall be for a variable period of between one (1) and three (3) years, depending on the nature of the work proposed. The value of each grant shall be not more than USD60,000 per year. Thus, each project will have a budget ceiling of USD180,000 for the duration of the project. The deadline was 25th April 2014.