Recommendations 1 (mission)
Develop a 2030 Research Strategy anchored in a unifying mission of “Ending hunger by 2030 – through science to transform food, land and water systems in a climate crisis”, focused on five Impact Areas of nutrition, poverty, gender, climate, and environment. Target date: 2030 Research Strategy, reflecting agreed Mission and Impact Areas, by end-2020
Recommendations 4 (new research modality)
- One CGIAR refers to a future, more unified and integrated CGIAR, as set out in the recommendations of the System Reference Group (SRG) and endorsed by the CGIAR System Council at its 9th meeting in November 2019.
- The TCF comprises members of the CGIAR System Council, all members of the CGIAR System Management Board (SMB), all Center Board Chairs and Directors General, and the Chair of the Independent Science for Development Council (ISDC).
- The forum is co-chaired by Aly Abousabaa (DG ICARDA), convener of Center Directors General, Nicole Birrell, convener of Center Board Chairs, Tony Cavalieri, System Council member, and Marco Ferroni, SMB Chair.
The System Reference Group (SRG) was established by the CGIAR System Council in 2018 to bring together Funders, Centers, and partner countries to develop forward-looking recommendations on CGIAR’s research focus, delivery model, and institutional structure.
Co-chaired by Tony Cavalieri (see picture) of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Marco Ferroni (see picture), Chair of the System Management Board, the group’s membership comprised 22 persons:
- CGIAR Funders/partners – 11 persons drawn from the membership of the CGIAR System Council, including representation of regional constituencies where CGIAR operates;
- CGIAR System Management Board – 9 members, including 6 Center-affiliated members (Center Board members or Directors General), and the Executive Director of the CGIAR System Organization; and
- 2019 conveners of CGIAR Center Boards of Trustees and Directors General.
5–6 May, 2020. 17th meeting of the the CGIAR System Management Board (SMB)
9–10 June, 2020. Berlin, Germany 10th meeting of the CGIAR System Council.