11 December 2017. DG- Research and Innovation, Brussels. EFARD Technical and Business Annual Meeting: Future of European Agricultural Research and Innovation Partnerships.
Download the full report of the meeting (February 2018, 29 pages)
The European Forum on Agricultural Research for Development is a multi-actor platform which provides opportunity for dialogue on issues of strategic importance for European agricultural and research and non-research actors. Each year, the platform members meet to review their achievements of the previous year and develop strategies for possible (re)alignment of EFARD’s priorities with those of key partners such as the European Commission (EC), the Global Forum for Agricultural Research (GFAR) and partners in the South.
This year, the EFARD annual meeting explored lessons learned including those from the mid-term review of CDAIS and the final evaluation of PAEPARD and from EFARD members to advocate on the way forward for strengthening the engagement, enhancing the contribution and achieving longer-term commitment of EU stakeholders and multistakeholder agricultural research and innovation partnerships for achieving greater development impact. The latest PAEPARD publication on lessons learned on AR4D funding were also released.
- EC Support for Research and Innovation and Perspectives on EFARD’s Role’ – Christophe Larose (see picture), Head of Sector: Planet and Innovation, DEVCO C1 – Rural Development, Food Security and Nutrition, Belgium.
- Link to the presentation: Dutch Experience in AR4D Funded Projects – Jennie van der Mheen, Manager International Cooperation Africa, Wageningen University the Netherlands.
- Link to the presentation: Fostering Processes of Participation between Family Farming Organisations andResearch Institutes: GFAR Collective Action – Stéphanie Barrial is knowledge management expert and coordinator at the World Rural Forum, in Spain
- See PPT below. Tracking the Evolution of the PAEPARD Users’-Led Process: Lessons Learned – Laurianne Ollivier, EFARD consultant and Judith A. Francis, Executive Secretary, EFARD, The Netherlands
- See PPT below. Seed Money as a Catalyst for Innovation Partnerships: the PAEPARD Sojabean Consortium – Patrice Sewade (see picture), Coordinator Project Soya Afitin-Milk (ProSAM), Association of Development
of Soybean (SOJAGNON), Benin.
- Link to the presentation: EU-Africa Knowledge Exchange and EU Researcher Experience in Multi Stakeholder Research and Innovation Partnerships – Falylath Babah Daouda (see picture), Postdoc, ProSeSS, Doyiwé PROJECT, Wageningen University and Research, the Netherlands.
- See PPT below. PAEPARD External Evaluation: Lessons for EFARD – Remi Kahane, PAEPARD Management Team, Agrinatura/ CIRAD, France
- Link to the presentation: TAP and CDAIS Project Mid-Term Review – StrengtheningAgricultural Innovation Systems in Developing Countries
The Platform for an Africa-Europe Partnership in Agricultural Research for Development (PAEPARD) has sought to overcome these shortcomings by mobilizing and supporting multi-stakeholder research consortia to address priority research issues that respond to users’ needs.
In implementing this user-led approach, some key lessons have been learned about funding agricultural research for development (ARD).