Farmers Fighting Poverty provides support and services aiming at strengthening organisational functioning, reinforcing organisational core competences and enhancing an organisation’s position in agro-food value chains.
Farmers’ organisations have four main Organisational functions:
- Representing members’ interests
- Economic activities, often in cooperative form
- Technical activities such as advice and training for farmers
- Delivering public goods such as natural resource management, environmental protection etc.
Core competences Agri-agencies categorise competence-related challenges under four headings:
- Ensuring the full commitment of members, board, management and staff
- Providing economic and representation services to members
- Networking and attracting resources
- Adapting and innovating.
AgriCord is a non-profit development alliance that has official development assistance (ODA) status with the OECD. As an alliance, AgriCord operates via its members, the agri-agencies, and supports on average more than 200 farmers’ organisations per year in more than 50 developing countries.
Farmers Fighting Poverty has, since 2007, received technical and financial support from: • DGIS, Directorate General for International Cooperation, the Netherlands • ACDI/CIDA, Canadian Agency for Development Cooperation • MFAF, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Finland • SIDA, Swedish International Development Agency • AFD, Agence Française de Développement • IFAD, International Fund for Agricultural Development • DGD, Directorate General for Development, Belgium • EU, the European Union (with the technical support of IFAD) • SDC, Swiss Development Cooperation.