6-7 July 2021. 10 AM -6 PM CEST Global Dialogue on the role of food and agriculture in the Post 2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
The Global Dialogue is a follow-up to the Multi-stakeholder Dialogue on Biodiversity Mainstreaming across Agricultural Sectors co-organized by FAO and the CBD in 2018.
- The Dialogue and the High-Level Segment will bring together countries to highlight the important role of the food and agricultural sectors for the management, enhancement, conservation and restoration of biodiversity as a whole.
- The Dialogue will end with a co-chairs report.
- The summative report reflecting the discussions of both meetings will be brought to the attention of the CBD processes (OWEG-3 and COP 15).
6 July 10:00 – 18:00
Session 1 Meeting People’s Needs through Sustainable Use of Biodiversity
- Gerda Verburg, Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN) Movement, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General
- Julia Fa, Professor of Biodiversity and Human Development, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- François Pythoud, Special Envoy for International Sustainable Agriculture, Federal Office for Agriculture, Switzerland
- Tony Simons, Executive Director, CIFOR-ICRAF/Director General, World Agroforestry (ICRAF)
- Alejandrio Barrios, Member of Global Executive Council, People’s Coalition on Food Sovereignty Discussion
- Luca Montanarella, Senior Expert, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Alzbeta Klein, Director-General, International Fertilizer Association
- Andrew Cunningham, Professor of Wildlife Epidemiology & Deputy Director of Science, Zoological Society of London, UK
- Estrella Penunia, Secretary General, Asian Farmers’ Association for Sustainable Rural Development
Session 2 mainstreaming Biodiversity for the 4 betters: better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life.
- David Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and the environment
- Joao Campari, Global Leader Food Practice, WWF
- Sara Scherr, President and CEO, EcoAgriculture Partners
- Lucas Garibaldi, Professor, Universidad Nacional de Rio Negro, Argentina
- Ray Hilborn, Professor of Aquatic and Fishery Science, University of Washington, USA
- Percy Summers, Senior Director of Science and Development, Conservation International, Peru
- Josef Garvi, Executive Director, Sahara Sahel Foods, Niger FOREST RESTORATION AND THE GREAT GREEN WALL OF THE SAHEL
- Catherine Lovelock, Professor of Biological Sciences, University of Queensland, Australia
- Luís Gustavo Barioni, Agronomist and Animal Scientist, Embrapa Agricultural Informatics, Campinas-SP, Brazil
- FAN Shenggen, Dean of Global Food Economics and Policy and Chair Professor at China Agricultural University
7 July – High-Level Segment 10:30 – 18:00
- Shakuntala Haraksingh Thilsted, 2021 World Food Prize Winner
- Bibi Ameenah Firdaus Gurib-Fakim, Former President of Mauritius
Panel discussion I: The Global Biodiversity Framework: Supporting Biodiversity for Food and Agriculture
- Francis Ogwal (Uganda) and Basile van Havre (Canada), Co-Chairs of the Open-Ended Working Group on the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework
- Eduardo Mansur, Director, Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment, FAO
- Yasmina El Bahloul, Chairperson, International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture Governing Body
- John Greifer, CPM Bureau Vice-Chairperson, International Plant Protection Convention Bommakanti Rajendar, Chairperson, Committee on Agriculture
- Yusuf Serengil, Vice-Chairperson, Committee on Forestry
- Renée Sauvé, Vice-Chairperson, Committee on Fisheries
Panel Discussion II: Food and Agriculture for Biodiversity: Recent Initiatives and Approaches.
- Yasmine Salah El-Din Fouad, Minister for Environment, Egypt
- HUANG Runqiu, Minister for Ecology and Environment, People’s Republic of China
- Jorge Arturo Argueta Villamar, Deputy Secretary of Planning and Environmental Policy, Mexico
- Juan Gonzalo Botero, Vice Minister of Agricultural Affairs, Colombia
- Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, African Union Commission
- Janusz Wojciechowski, European Commissioner for Agriculture
- Stergomena Lawrence Tax, Executive Secretary, SADEC
- Joyce Msuya, Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director, UNEP
- Martien Van Nieuwkoop, Global Director, Agriculture and Food, World Bank
- Jyotsna Puri, Director, Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division, IFAD