14 June 2016. The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), the Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation (CTA), the Directorate General for International Cooperation and Development of the European Commission (DG DEVCO), HarvestPlus and the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission (JRC) hosted an all-day workshop on Going the Last Mile: Accelerating Progress in Food Security and Nutrition.
Michael Hailu, CTA’s Director, chaired the event together with Shenggen Fan, IFPRI’s director, Roberto Ridolfi, Director for Sustainable growth and development at the DG DEVCO of the European Commission, and Vladimir Šucha, JRC’s Director-General.
The event took place on the eve of the European Development Days and focused on translating investments into action. Leading thinkers and stakeholders came together to share experiences and support critical dialogue for advancing progress in the achievement of necessarily ambitious food security and nutrition goals.
The day’s programme included a multisectoral panel discussion and thematic sessions on:
Translating analysis into action
- Scaling up technologies
- Delivering from data
- Enhancing policy performance
- Going the last mile
- Prioritizing EU Interventions in Food Insecure Regions: The role of IPC: Thierry Nègre, Head, Food Security Group, Monitoring Agricultural Resources Unit, JRC and Philippe Thomas, Team Leader Food and Agricultural Systems, Crisis and Resilience, EuropeAid
- Improving Data Collection and Management for Farmers Organizations Norbert Tuyishima, Programme Officer, Eastern Africa Farmers Federation (EAFF)
- Moderator Rajul Pandya-Lorch, Chief of Staff and Head of 2020 Initiative, IFPRI Panel Members
- Jean-Pierre Halkin, Head of Unit, Rural Development, Food and Nutrition Security, EuropeAid
- Danielle Resnick, Senior Research Fellow, IFPRI
- Johan Swinnen, Professor of Development Economics and Director of LICOS Center for Institutions and Economic Performance, University of Leuven (KUL)