5th session. Ensuring that no one is left behind – Food security and sustainable agriculture, climate action, sustainable oceans and terrestrial ecosystems – adopting a nexus approach.
The session identified important inter-linkages among the different nexus areas and enumerate possible threats to agriculture, the climate and the oceans and terrestrial ecosystems which are at the same time negatively affecting food security. The session elaborated on the necessity of using an integrated approach when dealing with this nexus at the sub-national, national, regional and global level.
- What are the most important inter-linkages among the different nexus areas?
- What are possible threats affecting agriculture, the climate, the oceans and terrestrial ecosystems and how do they affect food security?
- How can an integrated approach be used when dealing with this nexus at the sub-national, national, regional and global level to ensure that no one is left behind and what are good examples of such approach?
- Ms. Deborah Fulton, Secretary at the Committee on World Food Security (CFS)
- Ms. Evelyn Nguleka, President, World Farmers’ Organization
- Ms. Omoyemen Lucia Odigie-Emmanuel, President of the Centre for Human Rights and Climate Change
- Mr. Jake Rice, Chief Scientist – Emeritus at the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) participated in the UN High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development. This meeting was the first of many meetings and processes that took place to monitor progress in meeting the United Nations’ 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Shirley Tarawali, assistant director general of ILRI, was one of five panel members who gave a short talk to frame the discussion. The other speakers were Dyborn Chibonga, CEO of the National Smallholder Farmers’ Association of Malawi; Jackie Klippenstein, vice president for Industry & Legislative Affairs at Dairy Farmers of America; Martha Hirpa, managing senior director atHeifer International; and Franck Berthe, leader of the Livestock Global Alliance that is facilitating joint communications of five of the world’s leading organizations focusing on global livestock issues.