14 October 2014. European Parliament, Brussels. Hosted by Linda McAvan MEP (S andD), Chair of the Development Committee. Alliance2015 partners Concern Worldwide and Welthungerhilfe launched the 2014 Global Hunger Index in the European Parliament.
- The Index is designed to measure and track hunger globally and by region and country. Calculated each year over the past nine years, it highlights successes and failures in hunger reduction, provides insights into the drivers of hunger, and makes policy recommendations on how to improve food and nutrition security.
- The 2014 GHI shows that progress has been made in reducing the proportion of hungry people in the world, however levels of hunger remain ‘alarming’ or ‘extremely alarming’ in many countries across the globe still.
- This year the GHI focuses particularly on hidden hunger, where the lack of vitamins and minerals causes serious, long term and irreversible health effects.
This event aimed to raise awareness and enrich the discussion on hunger and food security and provides robust data and clear recommendation to be taken up by all EU stakeholders.
- Wolfgang Jamann, Secretary General and Chairperson of Welthungerhilfe, President of Alliance2015
- Richard Mwape, District program coordinator, Concern worldwide Zambia
- Debjeet Sarangi, Director Living Farms, Welthungerhilfe India
- Jean-Pierre Halkin, Head of Unit Rural Development, Food Security, Nutrition, DG DevCo