17 Sep 2012 – 28 Sep 2012. Location: Wageningen, The Netherlands. Organisation: Wageningen UR Centre for Development Innovation, Agriterra.
The course was structured according to five major themes:
- Contextual analysis: evolution of POs and farmers’ movements
- Organisational strengthening : internal organisation and management of POs
- Institutional arrangements: competition, collaboration and positioning of POs in the agricultural arena, with specific attention for market participation strategies
- Economic services: options and tools for sustainable economic service delivery to members
- Representation services: options and tools for participatory policy development, lobby & advocacy and public accountability.
15 – 19 October 2012. Kenya, East Africa. A course for professionals promoting farmer-inclusive agribusiness
- reflect upon farmer entrepreneurship and farmer-inclusive agribusiness development, with specific attention for economic services farmers’ organizations can provide to their members;
- review key challenges that farmers face, and identify options to address these through collective action;
- are capable to use operational approaches and practical tools for facilitating the performance and market engagement of farmers’ business organizations;
- analyze internal governance of farmers’ organizations and discuss organizational strengthening;analyze farmers’ relations with sourcing companies, banks and micro-finance institutions, input dealers, research and extension and other stakeholders, and learn about options to improve these relations;
- discuss experiences with farmers’ positioning in the external business and policy environment;
- Explore modalities for facilitating farmer entrepreneurship and alternative intervention strategies for external support to farmers and their organizations.