7 December 2020. Responsible Investments in Agriculture and Food Systems.
In collaboration with parliamentarians from different regions, FAO and the International Institute for Sustainable Development have developed a Practical Handbook on Responsible Investments in Agriculture and Food Systems for Parliamentarians and Advisors, which will be launched at this event.
Check out a related story written by Francine Picard, Emma Jessie McGhie and Carin Smaller: More and Better Investments Are Needed in Agriculture and Food Systems – What can parliamentarians do about it?
- Moderator Carin Smaller IISD
- Soraya Rodríguez Ramos, Member of the European Parliament
- Paolo de Castro, Member of the European Parliament
- Rodrigo de Lapuerta Montoya, Director of the FAO Liaison office with the European Union and Belgium
- Mr. John Clarke, Director for International Affairs, Directorate-General for Agriculture and Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission
- Ms. Beth Bechdol, Deputy Director-General, FAO
- Mr Sebastian Lesch, Head of Division, International Agricultural Policy, Agriculture and Innovation, German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Presidency of the Council of the EU
REPORT: FAO and IISD. 2020. Responsible investments in agriculture and food systems – A practical handbook for parliamentarians and parliamentary advisors. Rome. December 2020, 118 pp.
The handbook provides a catalogue of prescriptions, through guidance notes, examples of good practices, and very practical indications that members of parliament and parliamentary advisors can use to create a reliable, coherent, and transparent “enabling environment” in several areas related to investment in agriculture and food systems. It sets out key stages of processes and mechanisms for MPs and advisors to consider while promoting responsible investment in agriculture and food systems.
15 December 2020. Africa Launch | The Role of Parliamentarians in Enhancing Responsible Investments in Agriculture for the Transition Toward More Sustainable Food Systems in Africa
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), International Institute For Sustainable Development (IISD), the Pan-African Parliament, East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Parliament will jointly organize an event on the role of parliamentarians in enhancing responsible investments in agriculture for the transition toward more sustainable food systems in Africa.