Building the capacities in nutrition of agricultural extension and advisory services (AEAS) is widely considered critical to the promotion of nutrition-sensitive agriculture and to the improvement of household food and nutrition security. FAO’s Food and Nutrition Division and the Research and Extension Unit have recently worked with the Global Forum for Rural Advisory Services (GFRAS), to develop a GCNA methodology designed to assist countries in assessing their own capacity gaps in nutrition and AEAS. The GCNA methodology has been tested in Chile, Côte d’Ivoire, Malawi, Tajikistan and the State of Telangana in India by GFRAS member organizations and validated during a workshop held from 22 June to 1 July 2020.
This webinar will present the methodology, as well as the outcomes of the pilot testing and validation workshop held in June-July 2020 and discuss further applications of the tool as well as ways to capitalise on the lessons learned.
Integrating Nutrition Objectives into Agricultural Extension Programmes and Policies Finalization Workshop Report 22 June – 1 July 2020 . 37 pages
Objectives of the webinar
The purpose of this webinar is to raise awareness among professionals, policy-makers and other stakeholders of the need to address nutrition in AEAS with a systematic approach based on a comprehensive assessment of needs, challenges and interactions at and among all institutional levels. Specifically, the objectives are:
- to share the GCNA methodology with a wider audience;
- to present the findings of the piloting studies;
- to present a country experience in piloting the methodology;
- to illustrate opportunities for scaling up the approach in order to strengthen the integration of nutrition into AEAS.
- Anna Lartey, Director, ESN;
- Marcela Villarreal, Director, PSU;
- Ana Islas Ramos, Nutrition Officer, ESN;
- Rasheed Sulaiman, Focal Point for Agricultural Extension in South Asia (AESA) and Director, Centre for Research on Innovation and Science Policy (CRISP), India;
- Maureen Maguza-Tembo, Deputy Director for Nutrition, Ministry of Agriculture, Malawi;
- Subbarao Gavaravarapu, Head, Nutrition Information, ICMR National Institute of Nutrition, India.
- Moderator: Justin Chisenga, Capacity Development Officer, PSUA;
- Moderator: Delgerma Chuluunbaatar, Agricultural Extension Officer OINR.