16 – 17 February 2016. Abu Dhabi. Third annual Global Forum for Innovations in Agriculture (GFIA). GFIA was aimed at harnessing global efforts to provide enough safe, nutritious food to an expanding population, and featured more than 300 next-generation agricultural solutions that could shape the future of sustainable farming around the world.
Extract of the programme:
- Collaboration between scientists and growers for Integrated Pest Management. Innovation: By growers, for growers . Presenter: Tom Mason, Managing Director, Dudutech, Kenya
- How can we deploy high tech agriculture in Africa? Chair: Sanjay Sethi, Group Managing Director, Paragon Agri, UK
- Enabling smallholders to access wider and more profitable marketsInnovation: FarmForce. Presenter: Miodrag Mitic, Managing Director Farmforce, Syngenta Foundation for Sustainable Agriculture, Switzerland
- Mass production of sustainable protein from insectsInnovation: Entofood Protein. Presenter: Franck Ducharne, CEO, Entofood Sdn Bhd, Malaysia
- The state of agribusiness incubation and opportunities in Africa Chair: Dr Alex Ariho, Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA), Ghana
- Upwardly mobile livestock farmers through SMSInnovation: M-FodderPresenter: Elvis Ouma, Founder, M-Fodder, Kenya
- Modern greenhouse built with simple materialsInnovation: Smart mobile farmingPresenter: Taita Ngetich, Co-Founder, Illuminum Greenhouse, Kenya
- The greenhouse that waters itself in the desertInnovation: Dew Collecting greenhouse Presenter: Bassel Jouni, Designer, Roots Up, Ethiopia
Innovation Challenge: increasing the shelf life of cassava organised by The Rockefeller Foundation
- The Rockefeller Foundation hosted an interactive workshop to spark novel ideas for how innovative solutions could significantly reduce post-harvest losses in the cassava value chain.
- Session Facilitator: Amira Bliss, Associate Director, Rockefeller Foundation