This tenth Zoominar session, is part of ITU-UNESCO Regional Digital Inclusion Week for the Arab States, focusing on challenges facing the innovation processes in the agriculture sector with regards to governance and public policy aspects.
The session involved all partners and government representatives from the NENA Region and emphasized on accelerating the development of innovation and digital agriculture in agri-food systems in the countries. The discussion examined the role that FAO and partners could play in facilitating the implementation and scalability of such innovations in the NENA region and guiding governments towards a robust policy plan of action to avoid the worst consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic on the agriculture sector and food security.
- Introductory remarks: Ismahane El Ouafi, Director General – International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA)
- Findings and recommendations of the Innovation Zoominar series and way forward: Rachid Serraj, Senior Project Officer and Delivery Manager of the Regional Initiative for small-scale family farming (RISSFF), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO RNE)
- Dina Saleh, Regional Director, Near East, North Africa, Europe & Central Asia – IFAD
- Karim AbdelGhani, Programme Coordinator – ITU
- Jacques Wery, Deputy Director General/ Research – ICARDA
- Reem Nejdawi, Project Coordinator, Climate change and Natural Resources Sustainability Cluster – ESCWA
- Youssef ElHafedth, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA)