The purpose of the dialogue was to provide a platform for Ministers of Agriculture; Science &; Technology; Education; and other agriculture-related Ministries to examine the topical issues relating to integrating research, extension and education into the CAADP country process for increased agricultural productivity in Africa.
Participants at the 2nd Annual Dialogue included: representatives of the Governments of Algeria, Angola, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, the Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Also in attendance were the African Union/NEPAD, the ECOWAS Parliament, the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA), ECOBank, Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation ACP/EU (CTA), Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Kuffuor Foundation, the First Bank International, the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS), Tertiary Education for Agriculture Mechanism (TEAM Africa) and the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
The specific objectives were to:
- Identify issues of strategic importance to integrating research, extension and education in the CAADP country process, stimulate dialogue on them.
- Identify how to develop strategies for integrating research, extension and education in the CAADP country process.
- Raise awareness among Ministers and parliamentarians of the need for increased investments in research, extension and education.
- Enhancing agricultural development in Africa. Key note address by Pro. Monty P. Jones (FARA)
- Integrating research, extension and education in the CAADP country process for increased agricultural productivity. (Ms. Idowu Ejere- FARA)
- Contribution of pillar IV to the CAADP country process. (Dr. Emmanuel Tambi- FARA)
- CAADP country process. (Dr. Marcel Nwalozie- AU-NPCA)
- Innovation systems for enhancing the value of research, extension and education. (Dr. Adewale Adekunle- FARA)
- Funding of agricultural research, extension and education: private sector perspectives. (Mr. Dauda Lawal- First Bank International)
- Developing capacities for improving agricultural productivity. (Dr. Irene Annor-Frempong- FARA) Improving agricultural productivity through direct access to knowledge resources. (Dr. Stephen Rudgard- FAO)
- CAADP Pillar IV strategy and operational plan. (Dr. Emmanuel Tambi – FARA)
- Agricultural Advisory Services (AAS) strategy and operational plan. (Dr. Silim Nahdy – AFAAS) Tertiary Agricultural Education (TAE) mechanism. (Prof. Hamidou Boly – TEAM Africa)
- Systems for knowledge management. (Mrs. Myra Wopereis – FARA)
- Emerging and cross-cutting issues affecting agriculture in Africa. (Dr. Ramadjita Tabo – FARA)