17th June, 2015. Accra,Ghana. FARA Secretariat. This meeting purposed to form a national platform for aflatoxin management and control in Ghana. This will help raise the consciousness of participants on the subject of aflatoxin contamination of crops in Ghana and brainstorm on possible mitigation strategies.
The main objectives included:
- Discuss key issues relating to aflatoxin contamination in Ghana
- Develop aflatoxin mitigation strategies with potential of adoption by farmers and other stakeholders
- Table and discuss the formation of Ghana Aflatoxin and Aflasafe Platform (GAAP)
- Plan aflatoxin/aflasafe awareness campaigns nationwide
- Discuss the way forward
- Prof. Awuah Richard Tuyee, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST): Situational Analysis of the Aflatoxin Problem in Ghana
- Ms. Winta Sintayenu, PACA: Perspectives and Continental Activities on Aflatoxin
- LIST OF PARTICIPANTS.docx
- Ghana Aflatoxin IP Workshop – Program.docx
- CN FOR FORMATION OF AFLATOXIN MANAGMENT PLATFORMS IN GHANA
- Summary report of the meeting
- Full report of the meeting (44 pages)
- establish Africa Aflatoxin Information Management System (AfricaAIMS);
- support country‐led aflatoxin situation analysis and action plan (C‐SAP); and
- mainstream food safety and aflatoxin control through the PACA initiative in CAADP National Agriculture and Food Security Investment Plans.
However, awareness on the deleterious effects of aflatoxin is fast rising and there is increasing demand by country stakeholders for action. Due to resource constraints and limitations in terms of operational scope, PACA may not be able to meet all the demand emanating from countries for imminent solutions to the aflatoxin problem.