Including from Madagascar (see factsheet). Four-fifths of the vanilla produced for the food industry is sourced there. In order to sustainably develop vanilla cultivation in Madagascar in the long term, Symrise has been cooperating with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH since 2010.
- The German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) promotes the development partnership as part of the develoPPP.de programme.
- The work on sustainable vanilla production by the project partners enables around 10,000 families to improve their livelihoods.
- Since 2013, more than 5,000 farmers have successfully received vocational training in cropping methods, farm management and product diversification.
- The low-yielding period was reduced, productivity in vanilla cultivation has risen by an average of 20 percent and Symrise receives sustainably cultivated vanilla of the highest quality.
The development partnership is supported by the develoPPP.de programme, which was set up by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to foster the involvement of the private sector in areas where business opportunities and development policy initiatives overlap.
BMZ supports your company with innovative projects and commercial investments in developing and emerging countries that have long-term benefits for the local population:
- Your company receives financial and professional support.
- You fund at least half the total costs, to which BMZ contributes up to EUR 200,000.
- You work closely with one of the three official partners appointed by BMZ to implement the programme on its behalf: DEG – Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH or sequa gGmbH help you to plan and finance your project and implement it on the ground.