The purpose of conducting the competition was to:
- promote research focusing on the needs of smallholder farmers,
- enhance South-South knowledge exchange and transfer, and
- facilitate identification of technologies and interventions that have potential for replication and upscaling.
A set of 11 selected Videos from the competition can now be accessed. Here is the video related to Africa:
- In Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, approximately 70% of the smallholder livestock keep cavy (guinea pigs).
- The video highlights the importance of feeding grasses mixed with legumes and concentrate feeds as supplements.
- Improved housing for Cavy, which provides clean environment, free access to water and proper feeding has also been developed; and future research areas have been highlighted. The aim is to increase income and nutrition of the families farming cavy.
With the support of AusAid, ILRI, CIAT, INERA/DRC, BeaC ( Biosciences Eastern and Central Africa), …