2 to 4 July 2013, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The proponents of the IFOAM OSEA II Project in partnership with the Tanzania Organic Agriculture Movement (TOAM) organized the third East African Organic Conference under the theme “Sharing achievements made and lessons learned”. The conference brought together organic stakeholders to share experiences learned since the launch of the East African Organic Products Standards six years ago.
In particular, the conference:
- reported on the implementation of the East Africa Organic Products Standard and the East African Organic Mark and the growth of organic market;
- presented organic agriculture related project and case studies;
- reported on progress made in mainstreaming organic agriculture into relevant national and regional policies;
- introduced new aspects of organic production such as aquaculture and Participatory Guarantee Systems;
- shared successful research initiatives and sector development experiences.
Besides the main conference event, the OSEA Project and key partners organized a number of separate workshops and meetings. At the East African organic exhibition, producers showed the public what organic agriculture has to offer consumers and further afield.