25 November 2014. ACP Secretariat, Brussels. Brussels Development Briefing on “Global food systems, local impact: the role of agribusiness and development partnerships in advancing African agriculture”.
The transformation of the African agri-business sector is a key challenge to achieve food security and economic development. A differentiated approach to partnerships, based on the development of competitive local private sectors, is essential to boosting agricultural development in Africa.
In this context, the objective of this Brussels Briefing was to discuss strategies and approaches for harnessing the potential of development partnerships with the private sector to catalyse market development and productivity in African countries.
Chair: H.E. Ambassador Assomption Frédéric Korsaga, Burkina Faso [Video]
This panel reviewed sharing of experiences and lessons learned from public-private partnerships (PPPs) and multi-stakeholder alliances that aim at accelerating investments and transformative change in African agriculture based on national and regional agricultural and trade priorities.
- Overview of agribusiness in Africa: trends, new opportunities & alternative investment models
Hafiz Mirza, Chief, Investment Issues Section, UNCTAD [Presentation|Executive Summary|Video]
- EU Development Cooperation models with the private sector: An overview
Wilhelm Elfring, Consultant to the EU-working group private sector development in agriculture [Presentation|Executive Summary|Video]
- Main financing mechanisms which strengthen local/regional production and trade
Heike Rüttgers, Head of Division Portfolio Management & Policy ACP, Investment Facility, European Investment Bank [Presentation|Video]
- Increased role for farmer’s organizations on agribusiness and PPPs
Theo de Jager, President, Southern African Confederation of Agricultural Unions (SACAU) [Presentation|Video]
- Panel 1: Debate [ Video ]
Panel 2: Scaling up successes through transformative partnerships
This panel looked at specific examples of inclusive business models in specific sectors and value chains where significant successes have happened and analysis of drivers of success.
- Inclusive partnerships to be scaled up in post-2015 agenda
Eugenia Serova, Director, Rural Infrastructure and Agro-Industries Division, FAO [Presentation|Executive Summary|Video]
- Innovative platform to advance agribusiness in the development of African agriculture
Henri A. Minnaar, Senior Programme Advisor: NEPAD Business Foundation, Agriculture & Food Security Programme [Presentation|Video]
- Successes from the African private sector in the development of agribusiness
- Daniel Gad, Managing Director, Omega Farms Ethiopian Horticulture Co-operative [Presentation|Video]
- Linking agribusiness and supporting sustainable development partnerships in Africa
Martin Märkl, Senior Sustainable Development Manager, BayerCropScience [Presentation|Video]
- PPPs: Upscaling agribusiness successes in Africa
Karl Schebesta. Chief, UNIDO Agri-busines Development Unit [Presentation|Executive Summary|Video]
- Panel 2: Debate [Video]