26 – 27 November 2020. FACCE-JPI 10 Year Event.
The Joint Programming Initiative on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change (FACCE-JPI) celebrates its ten year anniversary by engaging in a high-level science-policy discussion.
The aim is threefold,
- highlighting the European societal challenges including the key research concerns,
- exploring potential new pathways by showcasing the past scientific results, and
prioritisation of the science–policy discussion together with the national and European decision makers about the strategic urgencies.
- 10 Year Event – home
- Documents & links
- Meet the speakers and panelists
- Research highlights
The European Food System: The transition towards sustainability and climate mitigation
A sustainably-driven recovery in Europe will require a re-think of the agrifood system with an integrated approach to climate, food and ecosystems. There is a growing polarisation in the way society perceives solutions to agrifood challenges. Some focus on sustainability, whilst others favour economic ‘pragmatism’. To achieve sustainable food systems, policymakers must look at evidence-based arguments, engaging with actors from multiple sectors at local, national and regional level. Only this will lead to a holistic, fair, and coordinated approach. Ongoing investments in research and innovation will be crucial to achieve the necessary changes.
- How can the Commission’s ‘European Green Deal’ and the ‘Farm to Fork’ strategy help a faster transition towards sustainable food systems?
- How best to align objectives, targets and timelines to ensure a predictable regulatory environment, encouraging the innovation needed to achieve sustainable food systems?
- Which R&I pathways can support the transition towards sustainable food systems?
- How can industry encourage and support more sustainable farming with a focus on climate change?
- -How to juggle consumers’ purchasing power and willingness to pay, food affordability, and the true price of food?
- MODERATOR Brian Maguire, Journalist, EURACTIV
- Wim Haentjens, Policy Expert, Food safety and the agri-food industry, DG RTD, European Commission
- Atidzhe Alieva-Veli, MEP, AGRI Committee member, European Parliament
- Máximo Torero, Chief Economist, FAO
- Frank Ewert, Scientific Advisory Board Chair, FACCE-JPI
Virtual Session 2 | 27 November 2020 – 10:00-13:00h CET
FACCE-JPI Scientific Debate
The critical role of science: Learning from the past to cope with future challenges
Virtual Session 3 | 27 November 2020 – 14:00-17:00h CET
FACCE-JPI Science to Policy Debate
Science, the cornerstone of future European policies: Working for a strong European Research Area