21 September 2021. Virtual launch of the 2021 Food and Agriculture Benchmark. We know that the private sector has a critical role to play – but are they doing enough to implement a sustainable agenda?
This event, co-hosted with the Swiss government, featured speakers from the private sector, GAIN, WBCSD, FAO, a farmer organisation, YPARD and others. It shined a light on the opportunities and challenges of private sector performance and identified ways for stakeholders to motivate and accelerate private sector impact, in relation to the actions of the UNFSS.
- Moderator: Ann Tutwiler, Senior Fellow, Meridian Institute
- Speaker from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Viktoria de Bourbon de Parme, Food Transformation Lead, World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA)
- Sebastian Pedraza Paez, Member Steering Committee, Young Professionals for Agricultural Development Network (YPARD) “The companies need to ask themselves: How do you want to be remembered? Do you want to be part of the problem or do you want to be part of the solution?”
- Nimrod Wambette, Chair, Mount Elgon Agroforestry Communities Coop Enterprise ltd “There is too much greed to make profits at the cost of the small producers. The companies that are benefiting, often don’t know where the coffee is coming from.”
- Michael Ojo, Country Director Nigeria, Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)
- Interview with Dr. Agnes Kalibata, UN Secretary-General’s Special Envoy to the 2021 Food Systems Summit (pre-recorded)
Panel of private-sector voices:
- Robbert de Vreede, Executive Vice President Global Food, Unilever
- Ilias El Fali, Advisor to OCP’s Chairman & CEO and former COO, OCP
- Diane Holdorf, Managing Director of Food & Nature, World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
- Lotte Beck, ESG Manager of Global Equity Investment, Macquarie
- Closing: Patrick Mink, Senior Policy Officer, Federal Office for Agriculture, Switzerland (co-host)
- You can find more information on key findings and company performance here: https://www.worldbenchmarkingalliance.org/publication/food-agriculture/
- Methodology: https://www.worldbenchmarkingalliance.org/publication/food-agriculture/methodology/.
- The scoring guidelines and company performance data: https://www.worldbenchmarkingalliance.org/publication/food-agriculture/rankings/
- An additional set of resources which companies operating along the value chain may want to take a closer look at is the OECD standards and guidance on due diligence – including meaningful stakeholder engagement. http://mneguidelines.oecd.org/duediligence/