3 December 2020. The 36th annual meeting of the Food Crisis Prevention Network (RPCA, from its French name, Réseau de prevention des Crises Alimentaires) was held virtually in light of the Covid-19 pandemic.
It took stock of the 2020-21 agro-pastoral campaign, the food and nutrition situation and the responses to the 2020 food crisis. It also provided an opportunity to assess the implementation of the recommendations of the second PREGEC Charter evaluation and discussed next steps. Members of the Senior Experts Group of the Global Alliance for Resilience (SEG-AGIR) discussed Burkina Faso’s experience in building resilience. The SWAC/OECD Secretariat presented some governance and co-ordination tools. They aim to strengthen the coherence and effectiveness of interventions and the governance of food and nutrition security more broadly.
Session 1: AGRICULTURAL, FOOD AND NUTRITION SITUATION
- Moderator: DR DJIMÉ ADOUM, Executive Secretary, CILSS
- MR SY MARTIAL TRAORÉ, CILSS + MR MARTIN DJERANDODJE NAINDOUBA, FAO Provisional results of the 2020-21 agro-pastoral campaign and review of international food market trends
- MR ISSOUFOU BAOUA, CILSS – Food and nutrition situation
- MME AZARA REMALIA NFON DIBIE SANOGO, OXFAM – Gender and food security
- MR ECTOR HOUSSOU, CILSS – Implementation of National Response Plans (NRPs) in 2020 & planned responses for 2021
- MR SY ALAIN TRAORÉ, ECOWAS – Country responses to the Covid-19 pandemic and the desert locust threat
Session 2: SENIOR EXPERTS’ GROUP OF THE GLOBAL ALLIANCE FOR RESILIENCE (SEG-AGIR) AND OTHER RPCA WORK
- Co-moderators: MR SÉKOU SANGARÉ, ECOWAS Commissioner for Agriculture, Environment and Water Resources (AERE) and MR JONAS GBIAN, UEMOA Commissioner of the Department for Agriculture, Water Resources and the Environment (DAREN)
- MME HALIMATOU SIEBA HALIDOU YACOUBA, SE-CNSA Burkina Faso – Overview of Burkina Faso’s National Resilience Priorities and best practices for resilience
- MR OUSMAN TALL, SWAC/OECD Secretariat – State of play of the implementation of the recommendations of the 2nd evaluationof the PREGEC Charter and next steps
- MR OUSMAN TALL, SWAC/OECD Secretariat – Analytical tool for assessing leadership in the governance of food & nutrition security
- MS JULIA WANJIRU, SWAC/OECD Secretariat – The food and nutrition programmes and projects database and next steps