The conference Africa Knows! is the closing activity of the Africa 2020 Year of the Leiden African Studies Assembly and taook place online.
03/12. On December 3, F&BKP co-organized Panel 47 on “Agricultural Tertiary and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) in Africa: integration within the broader Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation System”. How ATVET can bridge the gap between higher education, other forms of learning, and the business community.
A background discussion document prepared for this panel presents an overview of how the ATVET sector is organized, and how it relates to the broader national agricultural knowledge and innovation systems (AKIS) in Africa. Recommendations focus on providing and scaling sustainable agro-food education and training in Africa.
Session 1 – 11.30-12.45 CET Policy Reforms for Agricultural Tertiary and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) in Africa
- Jennie van der Mheen, WUR Continental policies, strategies & programmes
- Caroline Mutepfa (picture), AUDA-NEPAD National Policy
- Case Study 1: Kenya Eusebius Mukhwana, KNQA
- Discussion Alice Mweetwa (picture) (moderator), RUFORUM
- Concluding Remarks David van Kampen, NUFFIC
Session 2 – 14.30-15.45 CET Integration of ATVET into broader systems of agricultural knowledge, skills and innovation
- Summary of session Frans Verberne, F&BKP/NFP
- Richard Hawkins (picture) Background Study Report – Agricultural Tertiary and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) in Africa: integration with broader AKIS
Break-out sessions 4 case studies:
- Ethiopia (SNV): links ATVET and extension
- Kenya (Latia): links ATVET and private sector
- Ghana (Nuffic): links ATVET and university
- Nigeria (DAC): links ATVET and government policy
- The Panel 47 programme
- Draft report “Agricultural Tertiary and Vocational Education and Training (ATVET) in Africa: Overview and integration within broader agricultural knowledge and innovation systems” by Richard Hawkins of iCRA
- The Session 2 breakout group Ethiopia case paper
- The Session 2 breakout group Kenya case paper
- The Session 2 breakout group Ghana case paper
- The Session 2 breakout group Nigeria case paper