- Recent strategic policies from both Africa and Europe underline the important role of research, innovation and higher education for economic growth and job creation. R&I can be a motor for sustainable transformation. But the potential is often not fully realized, due to limited scope, fragmentation and working in silos.
- The webinar discusses how cooperation between continents and actors can catalyze the effects on economic growth, agricultural markets, job creation and food businesses.
- Daan du Toit | Deputy Director-General, International Cooperation and Resources at South African Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) – Boost African Economy by Partnering with Europe – a closer look on the Comprehensive Strategy for Africa and a call for joint programming in the field of R&I
- Nienke Buisman | European Commission RTD; Head of Unit International Cooperation – More impact by joining forces – the role of the EU-AU R&I partnership
- Vincent Castel | African Development Bank’s manager overseeing agriculture in North Africa – Investing in the future – how financial institution can join hands with funders of R&I to foster economy and job creation
- Edouard Lehmann | Research & Innovation Manager COLEACP – Transforming the economy – the collaboration with R&I initiatives and the role of multi actor platforms. (Private Sector)
28-29 October 2020. LEAP4FNSSA West Africa Workshop
The Workshop “Dialogue for action and Brokerage in West Africa” will take place virtually on 28th -29th of October 2020.
Strengthening Europe-Africa partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture (FNSSA) and linking small businesses to existing research and innovation hubs, to test solutions with research funding opportunities and to fuel innovation, are the main objectives of the event.
The event will be divided in four thematic sessions and will involve farmers’ associations, research institutions, donors and policy makers. Special attention will be dedicated to 25 young innovators (previously selected through a specific “call for innovative ideas” carrying their solutions to mitigate the socio-economic and environmental impacts of pandemics on FNSSA.
Additional resources and background
- PRIORITIES FOR AFRICA’S FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY POST-COVID-19. A contribution from the Task Force Rural Africa (TFRA) to the AU-EU Summit, October 2020. August 2020 English (415.9 KB – PDF), 15 pages
- The European Green Deal (EGD) has an important agri-food and rural economy dimension, through its Farm-to-Fork (F2F) Strategy, Biodiversity Strategy and the next reform of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). Food and nutrition security has become of such fundamental political, economic and social importance that it must be at the centre of all future policy and planning.
- The development of the ‘NATURAFRICA’ concept, proposed by the EU Commission, aims to consolidate the biodiversity in large landscapes in Africa, through the promotion of the ‘Green Economy’ with a high degree of inclusiveness with the local communities.
29 September 2020. Informal meeting of development ministers.