The COVID-19 pandemic poses unprecedented challenges for food systems worldwide – but also enormous opportunities. It is a wakeup call that has highlighted the need for holistic approaches to both address the shock brought by the pandemic, but also to address the vulnerabilities of our unsustainable food systems. To build sustainable food systems we will need more coordinated, more integrated measures – a food systems approach.
Aimed primarily at regional and national decision-makers focusing on food or elements of the food system, the webinar is open to anyone with an interest in building sustainable food systems as a response to COVID-19 through a systems approach, and the role of inter-sectoral coordination and collaboration.
The webinar is part of a Series of webinars on the Food Systems Approach in Practice promoted by members of the One Planet Network Sustainable Food Systems Programme (SFS Programme), a global multi-stakeholder platform to support countries in the transition towards sustainable food systems.
- Moderator: Brent Loken, (moderator) Food Science Lead, WWF
- Dr. David Nabarro, WHO Director-General’s Special Envoy on COVID-19
- Vice-minister Ana Cristina Quirós Soto, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, Costa Rica.
Costa Rica has implemented a battery of measures in coordination with a range of food systems actors to guarantee workplace safety, access and availability to healthy food and financial support to livelihoods all while emphasizing the need for urgent progress on climate and environmental targets.
- Potira V. Preiss, counselor of the Council of Food Security and Nutrition (CONSEA) of Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil.
In Brazil, the Councils of Food Security and Nutrition (CONSEAs), were created in the 2000s with an innovative multi-stakeholder architecture. The CONSEA of Rio Grande do Sul state has been responding to the food and nutrition security crisis brought on by COVID-19 through four areas of action. With closed schools, children’s access to food has been compromised.
- Dr. Yuna Chiffoleau, Research Director, INRAe
- Dr. Stieneke Oenema, Coordinator, UNSCN
- Margarita Astrálaga, Director of the Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG), IFAD
- Fatima Hachem, Senior Nutrition Officer, FAO
- Martina Otto, Head of Cities Unit, UNEP