25 February 2021. The European Food Information Council (EUFIC) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) co-hosted the Food Systems Dialogue “Walking the talk: healthy & sustainable food systems through aligned, evidence-based communication & policy’’.
A paradigm shift towards sustainable food systems can only be achieved if citizens are enabled and empowered to make healthier and more sustainable food and lifestyle choices. Against that backdrop, this Dialogue sets to bring diverse EU stakeholders around the table, to break the silos, to address the urgent need to combat all forms of malnutrition and environmental degradation, and at the same time, to empower citizens to adopt healthier and more sustainable behaviors – by increasing trust in science, and by securing aligned, evidence-based communication & policy.
The event connected the often fragmented nutritional and environmental conversations from policy to consumers, to understand positions across stakeholders, to communicate and agree on an aligned vision, proposing accurate & accountable actions that will lead to better policy coherence in the food system, and to a food environment that is inclusive, that benefits all citizens and the planet.
Touching upon key aspects to move sustainable food systems ahead in the transition from science to action, the Dialogue will be moderated by Milka Sokolović, Head of Food & Health Science at EUFIC, and will feature a series of high-level speakers:
Martin Frick, Deputy to the Special Envoy for the UN Food Systems Summit
- Laura Fernández Celemín, Director General, EUFIC
- Rodrigo Lapuerta, Director of FAO Liaison Office, Brussels
- Jamie Morrison, Director of FAO’s Food Systems and Food Safety Division and Lead on Knowledge and Policy for the Food Systems Summit Secretariat
- João Breda, Head of WHO European Office for Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Diseases, WHO Europe
- Carla Montesi, Director for the Green Deal and Digital Agenda, DG INTPA , European Commission
- John Bell, Director Healthy Planet, DG RTD, European Commission
- Isabel Carvalhais, MEP and Member of European Parliamentary Alliance Against Hunger and Malnutrition