- Raise awareness of the importance of responsible investment in agriculture and food systems for the achievement of the SDGs.
- Bring together parliamentarians from different parties and catalyze discussions on their concrete role in the enhancement of responsible agricultural investment (RAI) within Africa.
- Launch Responsible Investments in Agriculture and Food Systems. A Practical Handbook for Parliamentarians and Parliamentary advisors.
- Moderator: Ms. Femi Oke , Senior Host/Journalist
- Presenter: Richard Florizone
- Mr. Abebe Haile-Gabriel, Assistant Director-General and Regional Representative for Africa, FAO
- Mr. Sidie Mohamed Tunis, Speaker of the ECOWAS Parliament
- Hon. Martin Ngoga, Speaker of the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA)
- Ms. Aleksandra Blagojevic, Programme Manager for International Development, IPU
- Hon. Halimatou Mamane ECOWAS network of parliamentarians on gender equality and investments in Agriculture and Food Security
- Hon. Yves Fernand Manfoumbi, Secretary General, Network of Parliamentary Alliances for Food and Nutritional Security, Central African countries
- Hon. Ruhakana Albert, Member of the Chamber of Deputies, Rwanda
- Mr. Jean Leonard Touadi, FAO
- Ms. Emma Mc Ghie, FAO
- Hon. Jean Kouka, National Assembly of Congo, Representative from l’Alliance Parlementaire Congolaise pour la Sécurité Alimentaire et Nutritionnelle (APCSAN)
- Dr. Mrs Jehad Alfadhel, Deputy Chairwoman of the parliamentary network for food security in Africa and the Arab World
- Hon. Kone Dognon, Member of the Pan African Parliament
REPORT: FAO and IISD. 2020. Responsible investments in agriculture and food systems – A practical handbook for parliamentarians and parliamentary advisors. Rome. December 2020, 118 pp.
The handbook provides a catalogue of prescriptions, through guidance notes, examples of good practices, and very practical indications that members of parliament and parliamentary advisors can use to create a reliable, coherent, and transparent “enabling environment” in several areas related to investment in agriculture and food systems.
- African parliamentarians started advocating for more, better, and equitable investment in agriculture in 2011 with a four-year continental campaign led by the Pan-African Parliament in collaboration with regional parliamentarians’ bodies, the African Union Commission (AUC), New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD), and IISD. The campaign was entitled Making Investment Work for Africa. The focus of this first phase was on raising awareness about the impact of large-scale land-based investment.
- A second phase started in 2014, focusing on the need to strengthen the legal and policy framework for agriculture investment in developing countries to direct foreign investment in agriculture and food systems toward sustainable development outcomes that benefit rural poor populations. Led by IISD in collaboration with African parliamentarians, the initiative focuses on improving transparency and strengthening legal frameworks related to sustainable investment in agriculture and food systems while supporting the implementation of the CFS RAI.
- In 2016, the 250 members of the Pan-African Parliament (PAP) established the Pan-African Parliamentary Alliance for Food and Nutrition Security (PAPA-FSN) under a Memorandum of Understanding with the FAO.
- At the end of 2019, a plenary session of the PAP approved the draft Model Law on Food Security and Nutrition in Africa and authorized regional consultations on it.
7 December 2020. Responsible Investments in Agriculture and Food Systems.